Friday, February 13, 2009

0.46

$0.46. That's the amount that was owed on my credit card. A credit card that I don't use.

(Dave Ramsey anyone?).

My McAfee antivirus is scheduled for automatic renewal, and I plum forgot that it was attached to this unused card. So, after a $15 late fee and a letter stating that they couldn't get in touch with me, I realized that maybe I should take a look at the account. I shell out the $50 balance and make a mental note to check on any finance charges that may appear after the payment (they always do!).

So today, I log into the account and my balance shows a whopping $0.46. I go to make an online payment and the stupid system won't let it go through for less than $1.00. Hmm...why would I pay more than I owe?? I'm not planning on using this card as a savings account, so I call the company....

After canceling my attempt at phone payment (that included a fee of $15!! -crazy person say what??), I quickly pressed '0' to speak with a live person. While twiddling my thumbs, I listened to some groovy elevator music for a good 5-10 minutes. All this time, I'm preparing my case, going back and forth on what route to go.....do I stay pleasant and ask nicely? Do I sound professional and commanding? Do I cry and tell them what an injustice this fee is?

After the eternity of hold time, I finally get a gal on the phone. We will call her Gladys. Ms. Gladys was very pleasant. YEAH! I got a nice one. So, I simply say, "Gladys, I think it is silly to mail you guys a $0.46 check. Can you help a girl out??" My BFF then quickly giggled and said, "No problem, we will credit your account." She even mentioned the fact that it would be silly to waist a perfectly good check on $0.46.

I 'heart' her.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Soo funny.. I heart Gladys

Anonymous said...

I can feel your pain. We had McAfee Antivirus on a computer that we got rid of and an e-mail account we no longer had or remembered so for 4 years they continued to atomatically renew our subscription (for our convenience) and we called and were put on hold many times for many hours and NEVER got it resolved. Ugghhh. Finally, this year I had to cancel the credit card before it renewed again just to avoid the charge. Double ugggh...
~Cindy