Thursday, August 28, 2008

Are You Ready For Some Football???

Sooner football is a way of life. From a small child through my adult years, the air just seems to change when football season starts. Things seem to taste better; the air gets cooler; people are a little less annoying....because of one important thing....Sooner Football!

When I was young, my parents took my brother and me to OU Football games. I have fond memories of buying new OU paraphernalia, eating stadium hotdogs, and wanting to RUSH into the stadium in order to get a good seat! (my family still jokes with me about this statement). The weather situation was never an issue either. I'll never forget going to an OU vs. Nebraska game one year when it was bitter cold. We bought hats, gloves, and sweatshirts, and shoved our legs in trash bags to keep in our body heat but still sat through the entire game. I was MISERABLE. I remember pulling my hat over my face to keep the cold out...oh...did I mention it was snowing too?? But ya see, it didn't matter that none of us could feel our toes, ears, fingers nor did it matter that our lips were an icy blue. The important thing was that this was a BIG game and we were watching it LIVE. I now look back on this memory and think that it was somewhat crazy and a possible form of child abuse (maybe not), but nevertheless, it did instill in me that there is something extremely important about rooting for the Sooners.

Last year Michael and I were able to take Shelby and Austin to see their first Sooner game. It was OU vs. Baylor - not a monumental game by any means, but still a way for us to introduce the kids to Sooner Magic.



Austin has been sick a few days prior to the game but he really didn't want to miss it. So, he braved through and said he felt ok to go.

The boys sat together....



And the girls sat together...



The kiddos loved the opening with the band...



...but as the game started, Austin started feeling pretty bad. (You can kinda tell from the picture above with Michael) We made through halftime and then packed up and went home. Later, we found out that Austin had pnemonia! We felt horrible about the whole thing but in a way it also felt as if things had come full circle with my family tradition of torturing your kids through watching the Sooners live. BUT at least we didn't stay the entire game this time....that makes us good parents, right????

Here is a picture before the game to prove that we weren't ignoring Austin's illness...the kid looks totally normal!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

So funny...I can remember high school football games that cold...you just couldn't leave you'd miss something! :)

Jill Garrison said...

Woohooo, we are ready for Football too! So glad you joined the blogging world... I've totally enjoyed blogging over here!

Anonymous said...

Well, you have to give your kids some kind of ammunition to prove that you tortured them when they were young. :)

By the way, I don't know if you get extra points for cuteness... but your blog page is adorable.

-Cindy