Monday, September 1, 2008

Holy Torpedos Batman!!

Today is Labor Day. Its a day to not get stressed out, just enjoy the day - an extra day of rest. Well, that's not how it worked out for us this morning. Michael and Shelby surprised me with a new discovery in our garage.

Ok, now remember, our garage isn't JUST a garage. It is our laundry room, wood working area, holder of misc hodge podge of junk and all our Christmas supplies, oh and we store my car in there too. But the most important thing on this list is it is our laundry room. We are out there A LOT. So we need to feel safe - very safe in fact - in this space that is sometimes as hot as a sauna in the desert and other times as cold as an Eskimo playing ice hockey in the Alaskan mountains of wherever.


So back to the story. Michael and Shelby walk me to the garage and point up toward the roof line. Its not the best lighting but you can see "something." I ask them what is that and Michael informs me that he THINKS its a bat.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU THINK ITS A BAT!?!?!?!?!?

Oh so gross - oh so nasty!!!!

Michael takes a picture of the ugly thing with the flash so he could see if it really was a bat...uh....ya....TOTALLY a bat.








I quickly get on the computer and use my trusty friend Mr. Google. He always has the answers. Mr. Google says that basically bats are not dangerous UNLESS they have rabies....but there is no real way for us to tell if it has rabies or even tell if it is alive without actually touching it with something. BLEH - still gives me the heebie geebies! So, since Mr. Google freaked me out more (especially with gross bat pictures) we call Michael's brother David up. He knows about this stuff - he should work for Mr. Google. Anyway, he basically tells us to wait it out until dark and poke it with a stick at night and hopefully it will fly out of the garage. So, we decide to wait...and go to Burbank for the afternoon. (we had plans - we weren't fleeing our home due to the bat infestation - we were going anyway...promise)

So fast forward the day.....we get home all worried about the stupid, nasty bat that has invaded our garage and what do we find???? NO STINKIN BAT!!!! Its gone, gone I tell you. Nowhere to be found. It could be in the attic, somewhere else we haven't thought of yet or just flew out and is now recruiting his buddies to come join the new bat house located in the Nephew's garage. Still gives me the creeps!!! But for some reason, not knowing where it is makes it easier to do laundry out there. Its like, I don't have a place to look and get freaked out. I just have to be a big girl and suck it up and say, "that stupid bat ain't gunna get me down!"

Ya, that's soooooo easier said than done!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my heavens that is FREAKY!!! I'm not sure I'd be doing laundry until I found out where it went! So crazy. :)

Jill Garrison said...

Julie do you remember at Woodlands how those bats would fly up and down the hall way... I so remember Mr. Rogers putting one that killed itself by running into a wall... on that card board...

HOW STRANGE!!!!!!! I wouldnt know what to do .... Google rocks though!

Anonymous said...

ewwww...that gave me the creeps just reading it...and seeing the picture!! :) hope it doesn't come back.

Jill Garrison said...

so i went to get book number two and everyone was out - except brace which I called and got this morning ... I'm half way done with it and am waiting for everyone to be quiet so I can finish it up!!! LOVE IT.....