Friday, September 5, 2008

Thankfully I don't golf!

From the moment I was welcomed into this world, the Cherokee Strip Golf Tournament has always been a bit of an issue. Since it always conflicted with the tournament, I basically can't recall a birthday when my family celebrated it on the actual day. I have grown to accept this and now actually benefit from it!!

A post or two ago, I mentioned the fact that we are big OU Fans. For the past few years, Michael and I had the privilege of attending a game once or twice a year due to my generous brother's busy schedule. He has season tickets along with a parking pass and Sooner Club Tailgate pass. The Tailgate is always a huge highlight of our trip to Norman. Free food = Happy Nephew's!

Because my brother, Jeff, has a love for golf and plays in the Strip, he is never able to go to the OU game that week. Thankfully, we aren't avid golfers and are more than happy to go to the game in his place!

This year he asked if we wanted all four tickets which we replied, "uh....YES!" (Happy Birthday to ME!) I quickly called up my Sooner lovin' friend Jamie to see if she and her hubby Jackson wanted to join us. I wasn't sure Jackson would be up for an OU game since he roots for that other Oklahoma school. After rearranging their schedule a bit, Jamie called back and said they would love to go plus it was their 11 year Anniversary - so what a way to celebrate! Michael and I always have a ball at the games, and I knew Jamie would be super fun since she's never experienced Sooner Magic at a live game before. This was going to be soooo much fun!!!

So, Saturday rolls around and we get up kinda early (for a Saturday at least) and are on the road with Starbucks in hand by 9:30ish. On the drive there, Jamie gave me a hard time about all my OU paraphernalia but you gotta represent when rooting for the Sooners!



Once in Norman, we made our way down Lindsay St to the stadium. The parking pass is for a parking garage right next (literally) to the stadium. My generous brother, in all his adding babies to the world thing, forgot to add us to "the list." This worried me at first but the guard just waved us through....although then it meant the car went into the "bomb search" line. Ya, thanks brother Jeff. Anyway, we got into our amazing parking spot, and walked over to the Tailgate party for some yummy yummy food.


Jamie and Jackson are such a cute couple!

Next was the game. We found our seats and got ready for the game. I gave Jamie a bit of pointers on how the game works....well...not so much about the football part but about OU's traditions. I was so proud when I looked over during a kickoff and saw Jamie's finger proudly pointing toward the sky and hearing her yell, "OOOOOOOOUUUUU."

Ok, so maybe that isn't Jamie's hand - but you get the idea.

Best part was that my Sooners kicked Cincinnati's tail! Score Sooners - 52 Bearcats - 26.

We wrapped up our day of fun with yummy dinner at Abuelo's. Overall, a great way to celebrate an Anniversary and a Birthday!!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

It was a great day! Thank you so much again for considering us!!! Loved the finger picture..

Jill Garrison said...

okay - yeah I enjoyed Breaking Dawn - just finished it - yes I know I'm crazy for not sleeping I KNOW =-) breaking dawn had a major slow part for me personally but I totally dont know why people were saying they didnt like it. BRING on the MOVIE - are you going to read the Midnight Sun "rough draft" that she has out? Im thinking I just might