Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Arkalalah

Last year was my first taste of Arkalalah, and although I'm still not sure what it means definition wise, experience wise - it is full of fun times!

This year my co-horts consisted of Jamie (aka The Party Planner)



Julie B (aka Jasper - at least that's what Jamie likes to call her these days)



and Laurie (aka PW)



Basically, Arkalalah is an excuse to eat horribly calorie filled foods that are batter dipped and deep fried. I was, however, pleasantly surprised with my self control this year. Dinner consisted of a chicken gyro, which can be pronounced JEYE-ro OR Guy-ro depending on your upbringing. Laurie is from Arkansas, so whenever she pronounces anything, entertainment is always quick to follow. We actually had a lengthy conversation about how she over pronounces "Arkalalah." Basically, the 'h' is left off but she proudly draws out the entire thing (think Deck the Halls-Fa lah lah lah lah...) Anyway, may not be funny now, but it was hilarious last week.

We made several discoveries during our adventure as well...

Jamie and I realized that we can crack up at will. Honestly, I'm not 100% sure what was so funny...



We also learned that Laurie is a total ham. Well, we kinda already KNEW that, but she continued to show up with her hilarity throughout the evening...



Laurie found the biggest straw known to man...



Julie was thrilled with her ketchup discovery (fried foods NEED ketchup)...



Jamie learned that port-a-potties can be fun...



We all discovered that chocolate dipped Cheesecake on a stick is one of the best inventions ever. (although I'm not exactly sure what Laurie was doing here..it looks like she is contemplating throwing the remains of her cheesecake at Julie B, but it never happened)



Apparently, cheesecake on a stick can cause rotting of teeth! (I did mention that Laurie is a riot, right?)



Although I didn't get a picture of it, I discovered that $1 Hot Chocolate isn't always fancy with whipped cream on top. Sometimes you are just paying for the labor of stirring in the Swiss Miss packet. Crazy stuff.

Can't wait for next year's adventures!!

2 comments:

Jill Garrison said...

How fun.... sad I've never ventured up there to do "Arkalalah" .. heard it can be a blast!!!!

Looks like I will put it on the calendar for 2009

Jamie said...

OH SO FUN!!!!!