Thursday, November 20, 2008

Deep Thoughts with Julie

Life consists of a lot of commitments. People are committed to their jobs, their friends, their family. If married, they are hopefully committed to their spouse or if not married, maybe committed to a significant other. Others may even be obsessed with their commitment so much so that it overtakes their lives and ends up damaging other life commitments in the process.

The point is, our life is full of commitment. Its all around us and inevitable. The problem is that these days the most important things that take commitment are the ones people give up on so quickly.

I played the piano when I was younger. I hated practicing. I would've rather cleaned the bathroom, washed the dog (probably not in that order), or cleaned the entire house. Practicing was of no interest to me. Actually my first piano teacher even kicked me out of her class because of this fact. She said that I was waisting her time. Honestly, her statement pretty much devastated me. I felt totally dejected. But now that I have an adult perspective, she may have lacked tact and I definitely wouldn't send my own child to her, but she was right. I wasn't committed to playing the piano and was totally waisting her time.

Today in my office was a newly married couple. They came in to add wifey to hubster's account. As wifey started to fill out the paperwork, she kinda freaked out a bit saying, "I don't want to do this. I really don't want to do this." She repeated herself several times even mentioned the fact that she was freaking out and felt nauseous of the whole idea of her name being added to his account. In her eyes, a financial commitment was a bigger deal than a life commitment. As they walked out of my office and out the door without adding her name to hubster's account, I laughed. Actually, I cracked up and repeated the story several times to co-workers. I was shocked by her skewed outlook on marriage and finances. I don't know wifey's life story. I don't know what caused her to see financial issues in such peril. Maybe she had the same piano teacher who didn't like her lack of commitment. I don't know.

One thing I do know is that wifey got me thinking about commitment. What areas of our life do we put our whole heart into? What areas do we become lax in? And why is it that way? What caused us to find more importance in wealth, stuff, friends, and jobs and less importance in Christ and His call to a different kind of commitment. It's a daily struggle.

So today, I take up my cross, and I choose to follow Him. I choose for Christ to be my #1 commitment. I just pray that as tomorrow's struggles and commitments come to fruition, I can do it again...and again...and again.

No comments: