Friday, November 14, 2008

Its not goodbye.

Today is kind of a sad day for me. 8 years ago today, my father passed away. He was a great dad and really taught me a lot.



In 2000, my family went through a lot. In one year, we lost 3 family members. Two of which were two weeks apart. Needless to say, it was difficult. Through it all though, I never wavered in my faith. God was my rock. I remember often thinking, "how can people get through this kind of pain without Jesus?" The void in my heart from losing my father at a pretty early age (he was only 51) was completely filled with the love of Christ and knowing that one day I would see my dad again.

At his funeral, I read this poem. I originally wrote it for a Christmas present the previous year. I felt so much comfort in knowing that he read this before his death.


Daddy

How could I manage without you?
You have been there for me time and time again -
Provider, encourager, strength.
Words cannot explain all that you have done for this family.
But not just the family - for me.
Words of wisdom I don't' always want to hear,
But almost always end up being right.
So much of you has been instilled in me -
My outlook on life, sense of humor, and prankish behavior.
But its not just the personality traits,
Your love for God and ability to continually
grow in him have touched me in more ways than
you will ever know.
Thank you Daddy for showing yourself to me.


Its not goodbye. Its just see you later.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Wow. I know I said thanks for sharing on another blog but this one is wow. And I'm not just saying that like I told you I would. But you are so right..it's not goodbye....