Sunday, November 16, 2008

You want me to cast off what?

Yesterday was such a fun day. Not only did I get to see old friends, but I also picked up a new skill. I'm so excited!! I can now check off from my creativity list - knitting! I'm not saying my skills are at a pro level, but I'm working on a scarf today.

April helped me pick out some yarn and knitting needles yesterday. Then, we all went out for lunch/dinner...I'm going to call it lunner for short. So, while waiting for our food, April helped me with the basics.





Yes, I was at a constant state of confusion throughout my lesson. I felt like a complete moron at first. I hook where? And cast on what? I kinda felt like I was learning to sail or fish instead of knit. But with a bit of teeth gritting and practice, I'm started to get the hang of it.

The girls said that my facial expressions were priceless.



At one point in time, I accidentally pulled off the whole scarfish thing from one of the needles and totally panicked. Ape explained that this happens sometimes and showed me what to do. I'm so glad she was there to coach me through the trauma!!

My first attempt at knitting wasn't the prettiest ever, but as you call tell from the picture below, I'm totally going to rock out a cool scarf soon! I can't wait to move onto hats, mittens, and blankets!!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Make me something first! haha...so glad you learned that...now teach me?

Julie Nephew said...

Not sure I'm at a teaching level yet. I'm just excited that my scarf is somewhat straight. Its currently only at a pot holder size though.