Friday, November 7, 2008

Office Space



One of my favorite movies ever! Such classic office humor - the fax machine - the corporate downsizing - the territorial red stapler guy. I simply loves it! Oh, and the receptionist with the annoying voice - oh so wonderful!

My professional career began a little over 7 years ago when I began working for a bank. Its the longest job I've ever had. Its like I'm a real adult or something. The majority of those 7 years were in the Data Dept (operations area) where I had several "hats." Our workspace consisted of several desk areas in a large room that was locked to the outside employees (literally). In total, I worked with 5 other people in that space that we called the fishbowl. I had my own desk area, but no real personal office. So, about 1 1/2 years ago I changed depts. and moved to the New Accounts/ Customer Service area. With this move, I also got my first official office space ever in my life. It was a pretty monumental moment in my professional life.

I figured there must be others out there in the world who are just now acquiring their own first office spaces and have no idea how to handle it. When you have an office there are several things that are a must...

Music...gotta have the tunes!



Computer with lovely background pictures...



Phone, tape, and stapler (although mine isn't red - it is a Staples brand which is like the coolest stapler ever)



Calculator is a HUGE must when working at a bank along with daily calendar and loads of pens...



And correction tape...can't be a complete office without the correction tape.



When working with a wide variety of clientele, it is imperative to have lots of hand sanitizer...



...and drink plenty of water.



If at all possible, make sure to get an office with a window.



Its even better if that window comes with a view (well, all windows come with a view...but make it a GOOD view)



The best part about having an office is decorating it! So put a little personal touch on your space...





I love the picture Austin drew of me. He even put me in a bank shirt!



Hopefully this tutorial has helped the office space neophytes out there!! Good luck!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your rooster. And yes, I agree - Office Space is one of the funniest movies!
-I don't like my job. I don't think I'm going to go anymore.
-So you're gonna quit?
-Nuh uh. Not really. Uh... I'm just gonna stop going.

Ha ha ha!

Julie Nephew said...

Amber - that quote makes me wanna stay up late and watch it again!! "Goodmorning Bob, Bob."

Unknown said...

So Peter...whaaaaat's happening? I'm gonna need you to come in on Saturday...and Sunday.

Julie Nephew said...

Riiiiight...so about thos TPS reports...